Karlshorst (Berlin) is the latest “in” urban location for the alternative “new” Berliners (after Prenzlauer Berg, Kreuzberg and Friedrichshain). Whilst the infrastructure, amenities and general standard of living begin to improve, and the rents increase, it is easy to forget that the district has a very special past.
After the unconditional surrender was signed by Field Marshall Wilhelm Keitel on the 8th of April 1945 in Karlshorst, the war in Europe came to a close.
On the 10th of November 1949, it was here that the Soviet administration issued the official mandate for the formation of the new East German state, the Deutsche Demokratische Republik.
Twenty years after the collapse of DDR and the exit of the Soviet troops, Karlshorst now prepares for the new invasion of Starbucks, IKEA, organic supermarkets and Montessori / Waldorf schools.
Russian T-34 (Calibre 85mm) Tank – f10 1/40 ISO 200 22mm